Produce Advocacy Bootcamp
Monday, September 16, 2019 | 8:30 – 11:30 am | WASHINGTON, D.C.
Is this your first time attending the United Fresh Washington Conference? Don’t be intimidated. We’ve designed the Produce Advocacy Bootcamp just for you! Learn effective strategies for sharing the produce industry’s voice with elected officials during two days of visits on Capitol Hill. You will gain an overview of our industry’s key issues and learn tips for making your message memorable during the week’s congressional meetings.
“Meeting elected officials in their offices can be intimidating. I’m looking forward to this bootcamp to build my confidence so I can attend meetings with conviction and be able to be articulate in describing our industry’s top issues.”
– Diana McClean, Senior Director of Marketing, Ocean Mist Farms
FUEL UP: Breakfast and Meet Your Peers | 8:30 – 9:00 am
WARM UP: Advocacy Day Basic Training | 9:00 – 9:30 am
Gain a clear understanding of what you can expect during two days on Capitol Hill. Follow a typical day for a Member of Congress and discover what influential Congressional committees have jurisdiction over your business. Learn the basic elements of a Hill meeting, and how to deliver your message and that of the industry.
- Randy Russell, United Fresh Legislative Counsel, The Russell Group
CARDIO: A Run Through of Key Issues Impacting Our Industry | 9:30 – 10:00 am
Dive into a comprehensive discussion on the top policy asks and the issues they will impact during your Congressional visits. Gain insights on topics such as food safety, labor, nutrition policy, trade and transportation. You’ll leave with a clear understanding of our collective messaging that will enhance our industry’s effectiveness on the Hill during and following Tuesday and Wednesday’s visits.
- Robert Guenther, Senior Vice President, Public Policy, United Fresh Produce Association
WEIGHTS: How to Strengthen Your Presence | 10:00 – 10:45 am
Congressional visits can be fun, quirky and often take place in odd places. Boost your confidence before heading to Capitol Hill. Lead by industry veterans, hear personal experiences from their time spent during Congressional visits. Gain tips for communicating your message in a meaningful and concise way, that will also leave an impression.
- Lisa McNeece, Vice President, Foodservice and Industrial Sales, Grimmway Enterprises, Inc.
- Tony Freytag, Executive Vice President, Crunch Pak
- Bret Erickson, Sr. Vice President of Business Affairs, J & D Produce, Inc.
STRETCHING & FLEXIBILITY: Interactive Role-Playing Exercises | 10:45 – 11:30 am
Staying nimble during your Congressional visits is key to success! Observe a mock meeting to gain proven strategies for engaging congressional leaders on our industry’s top issues and your business. Take what you’ve learned and put it into practice as you participate in small group role-playing with your industry peers, where you will finetune your position points.
- Mollie Van Lieu, Senior Director, Nutrition Policy, United Fresh Produce Association
COOL DOWN: Advocacy 365 | 11:30 – 11:45 am
Your work on Capitol Hill carries the weight of 365 days of impact. Learn various communication and engagement techniques to enhance the #PowerOfFresh message from home. These skills and tips will empower you and your team to continue to build on the critical relationships you’ll create during your Congressional meetings. Advocacy is a daily effort and just like our crops, needs regular care and feeding. Keep your Members of Congress engaged throughout the year for maximum success.
- Angela Tiwari, Director of Grassroots & Political Action, United Fresh Produce Association
Key Elements of Bootcamp:
- Insight into current critical policy issues to discuss how they directly affect the fresh produce industry
- Techniques for effective communication with Members of Congress
- Clear dos and don’ts around advocacy
- Learn what role social media plays in your March on Capitol Hill meetings
- Learn how to roll play Congressional Meeting questions
Benefit to Employer:
- Effective professional development for staff
- Benefit from an employee more equipped to lead
- A strong eager employee to shape the future success of your company with public policy
- Your staff will have the chance to build relationships and network with peers and high-profile leaders in the industry
- There is no additional charge to attend bootcamp, it is included in your conference registration
- ALL are welcome
For more information on the Produce Advocacy Bootcamp, contact Angela Tiwari, Director of Grassroots & Political Action, at 202.303.3416.