Reimagine Conversations Produce Safety
Reimagine Conversations | Month of June
Reimagine Conversations is a month-long, 25-session series delivering a fresh outlook, fresh ideas and fresh connections. The five-track series features thought-provoking sessions, including both education and group discussions to foster discovery, present new ideas and develop new relationships across all channels of the produce supply chain.
Key Issues Driving Produce Safety
Track sponsored by
Seeking a quick overview of major issues driving produce safety today? This series is for you! Individual sessions will include expert discussions on testing and data analysis, farm-level controls for pathogens, facility control of listeria, end-to-end supply chain traceability, outbreak investigations/recalls, and more.
- Regulatory Interactions: Outbreaks, Inspections, and Sampling
Thursday, June 3, 11:00 am-Noon ET
Sponsored by iFoodDS
Regardless of why a federal or state regulator shows up at your operation, it’s bound to create some uneasiness. Hear from industry experts about their first-hand experiences responding to regulatory inquiries related to outbreak investigations, routine inspections, and product sampling assignments.
- Suresh DeCosta, Director of Food Safety, North America and Latin America, Lipman Family Farms
- David Durkin, Principal, OFW Law
- German Rios, Director of Quality, Fresh Express
- The Optics and Statistics of Product Testing
Thursday, June 10, 11:00 am-Noon ET
Sponsored by Neogen The debate over the merits of product testing, whether pre or post harvest, has only intensified in recent years. Does it help assure food safety, or does it provide a false sense of security? Learn how different commodities and different parts of the supply chain are approaching testing so that you can make an informed decision for your operation.
- Joelle Mosso, Assoc. CSO, Produce, Eurofins
- Don Schaffner, Extension Specialist in Food Science, Professor, Rutgers University
- Tim York, CEO, California Leafy Greens Marketing Agreement
- Science Insights: Highlighting Underutilized Research
Thursday, June 17, 11:00 am-Noon ET
Sponsored by GLOBALG.A.P
There is a substantial investment in produce safety research each year, but is the industry aware of the findings that can—and should—shape food safety practices? A panel of esteemed produce safety researchers will briefly highlight one thing they think research has shown that hasn’t been widely adopted or considered. Then attendees will have the opportunity to meet with the researchers in smaller groups to learn more.
- Jeffrey Brecht, Professor, University of Florida
- Michelle Danyluk, Associate Professor, University of Florida
- Robert Mandrell, USDA ARS, Retired
- Trevor Suslow, UC Davis-Emeritus Faculty Extension Research Specialist
- Wiedmann Lab Alumni, Cornell University
- The Traceability Blame Game
Wednesday, June 23, 2:00 – 3:00 pm ET
Sponsored by iFoodDS Regardless of what FDA requires in the final traceability rule, each point in the produce supply chain faces unique challenges to tracing produce. Before you point the finger at your customers or suppliers, listen to their concerns so that, as a community, we can formulate solutions that are feasible and effective.
- Ashley Avilla, Account Executive, iFoodDS
- Donna Lynn Browne, Director of Food Safety & Social Responsibility, Naturipe Farms
- Tom Lovelace, Executive Vice President, McEntire Produce
- Shane Samples, Senior Director Food Safety and Quality, Sysco/FreshPoint
- Mike Sexton, Vice President Supply Chain, McEntire Produce
- Re-emerging Produce Safety Issues
Thursday, June 24, 11:00 am-noon ET
Sponsored by GLOBALG.A.P What does the rest of the year hold for produce safety? Will new issues emerge, or are older issues simply re-emerging? Hear from industry experts on hot topics such as agricultural water, heavy metals, root cause analysis, with the opportunity to dive deeper in breakout discussions on these topics.
- Tony Banegas, VP, Food Safety and Industry Relations, Bonduelle Fresh Americas
- Emily Griep, Manager, Food Safety, United Fresh
- Jennifer McEntire, Senior Vice President, Food Safety, United Fresh
- BONUS: Food Safety Mix and Mingle
Friday, June 25, 2:00 – 3:00 pm ET
Sponsored by GLOBALG.A.P
Connect with other food safety professionals during this “choose your own breakout room” social hour. While there won’t be a formal agenda, you can choose to learn more about what the Food Safety Council has been working on (e.g., whole genome sequencing, traceability, evaluating supplier risk, etc.), meet with select vendors to learn about the latest food safety solutions, or chat with newer produce safety professionals. Participants will be able to move between breakout rooms at their leisure in this low-pressure networking event.
Reimagine Conversations features five tracks of thought-provoking sessions, including both education and group discussions to foster discovery, present new ideas and develop new relationships across the produce supply chain.
For more information, contact Amanda Griffin, Vice President, Education & Program Management at 202.303.3412.