Retail Produce Manager Awards Program
Honoring the Best of the Produce Industry’s Front Line
The United Fresh Retail Produce Manager Awards Program pays special recognition to produce managers – essential workers of the food supply chain’s front lines – who work every day to increase sales and consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables. For 17 years, United Fresh has honored 25 of the industry’s top retail produce managers for their commitment to fresh produce, innovative merchandising, community service, and customer satisfaction.
Congratulations to the 2021 Retail Produce Manager Award Honorees:
- Fadi Abou-Ali, Metro, Inc., Toronto, ON, Canada
- Toni Adams, Harps Food Stores Inc., Springdale, AR
- Lee Anderson, Hy-Vee, Inc., Omaha, NE
- Bobby Andrake, Haggen Northwest Fresh, Olympia, WA
- Chad Bays, Food City, Prestonburg, KY
- William Blalock, The Kroger Company, Atlanta, GA
- Maria Broda, West Point Commissary, West Point, NY
- Jacqulyn Brodell, Meijer, Greenfield, WI
- Stephany Buonomano, Bob’s Windham IGA, Windham, CT
- Mikaela Claude, Sprouts Farmers Markets, Las Vegas, NV
- Tyler Christy, Harris Teeter Supermarkets, Charlotte, NC
- Chris Contakos, Price Chopper/Market 32 Supermarkets, Schenectady, NY
- Shawn Fast, Coborn’s Inc., Sauk Rapids, MN
- Jessica Granier, Rouses Markets, Thibodaux, LA
- Jesse Jordan, Fred Meyer, Bellingham, WA
- Adam W. Klazura, Jewel-Osco, Naperville, IL
- Jim Keller, Hornbacher’s Foods, Fargo, ND
- Peter Kenney, Big Y Foods, Inc., Ludlow, MA
- AK Khalid, MARTIN’S, a brand of The GIANT Company, Front Royal, VA
- Karen O’Dell, Martin’s Super Market, Granger, IN
- Joe Ortiz, Brookshire Grocery Company, Monroe, LA
- Apolinar Parra, Gelson’s Markets, Century City, CA
- Dusty Taylor, Tops Friendly Markets, Amherst, NY
- John Truncale, Brattleboro Food Co-Op, Brattleboro, VT
- Jeff Wilmes, Roth’s Fresh Market, Salem, OR
Special thanks to the Retail Produce Manager Awards Sponsor:
About the Program
This program honors produce managers who are making a difference and setting the standard of excellence in the produce department at store level. Winning produce managers have the opportunity to further their industry knowledge, engage with industry leaders, meet with produce companies and learn about the newest products.
In addition to their awards, five Grand Prize recipients will each receive a $1,000 cash prize!
The Winning Experience
As a 2021 honoree, winning produce managers will experience the entire fresh produce supply chain from grower to consumer, providing strategic insights, innovative solutions and new partnerships across the fresh produce supply chain.
The 2021 Retail Produce Manager Award Winners are the ‘best of the best’ in their profession. Every manager can expect to expand their knowledge of their role in the success of the industry through participation in the program.
Celebration of Excellence
The 2021 Retail Produce Manager Award Winners receive industry-wide recognition in trade publications, in their stores and within their company.
The 2021 Retail Produce Manager Award Winners have the opportunity to attend education programs with topics including marketing and trend research, in addition to solutions driving efficiencies and advancements in the produce supply chain. They will gain valuable knowledge and share this insight with customers at their stores.
The 2021 Retail Produce Manager Award Winners enjoy numerous opportunities to interact with the United Fresh community through networking events, allowing them to get to meet the people and companies across the supply chain who help deliver fresh produce to their stores and customers.
Past Award Winners
“The ability to creatively merchandise product, interact with customers, and oversee the growth of not only the department’s offerings, but also the people within the department, is paramount. Fresh produce is a vital part of our day-to-day business and being able to manage it successfully is invaluable and truly appreciated throughout the industry.”
– Jeff Cady, Director of Produce & Floral, Tops Friendly Markets
“It was such an amazing experience being a part of the United Fresh Show as a Retail Manager Award Winner! I felt so honored to be recognized and to be a part of the education panel. Thank you United Fresh and Dole for everything! This is definitely a once in a life time experience!”
– Britt Woodall, Fred Meyer, 2019 Retail Produce Manager Award Winner
“This program provides a great way to celebrate our store team members who work hard to ensure our customers have access to safe and fresh produce every day. The opportunity for them to learn and be inspired by the event is truly motivational for the award winners, their store teams and peers.”
-Roger Harkrider, Vice President, Produce/Floral, Brookshire Grocery Company
The United Fresh Produce Association brings together companies across every segment of the fresh produce supply chain, from growers, processors, wholesale distributors to foodservice and retail operators. United Fresh retail members enjoy quarterly pricing and trend reports, service on the United Fresh Retail-Foodservice Board and expert consultation on key issues that impact their procurement and store-level operations.
“Produce managers are the face of our industry to the consumer. Their creative merchandising and positive approach to customer service directly correlates to the growth of sales and ultimately consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables,” said United Fresh President & CEO Tom Stenzel. “We are grateful to Dole for once again sponsoring this program and for their partnership in recognizing these 25 deserving honorees. I look forward to celebrating our winners this June.”
– Tom Stenzel, President & CEO, United Fresh Produce Association
About the sponsor
As one of the world’s largest producers and marketers of high-quality fresh fruit and fresh vegetables, Dole Food Company, Inc., the awards program sponsor, is proud to honor the Retail Produce Managers who are driven to make a difference in our industry and the communities in which they live.
“During the tumult of this past year, one consistency in every store was the fortitude of the frontline store workers—every day, these dedicated individuals and the companies that they represent placed the needs of their customers as a top priority,” said Johan Linden, President and CEO of Dole Food Company. “The product knowledge and expertise that they share and advocate help all of us be successful. The United Fresh Retail Produce Manager Award program is an opportunity for Dole, and the broader industry, to say thank you for a year and a career of promoting produce.”
– Johan Linden, CEO, Dole Food Company
For questions about the Retail Produce Manager Awards Program, contact Miriam Wolk at 202.303.3410.