COVID-19 Relief Programs
Public Policy and Regulatory Covid-19 Action Plan
As Congress continues to grapple with additional COVID-19 relief, it is imperative for key stimulus programs continue to be funded. In particular, ensuring the continuation of the Farmers to Families Food Box program is a top priority while directing funding though the USDA Coronavirus Food Assistance Program (CFAP) to those farming operations most in need. Additionally, looking at the road ahead, United is working with other food and agriculture sectors to ensure that our workers and businesses are protected. This includes ensuring priority access to vaccines and personal protective equipment (PPE) for employees and liability protection for businesses that have complied with federal, state, and local requirements. Finally, the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) has provided needed assistance to many produce businesses and should be continued.
2021 Action Plan
- Advocate for a permanent fresh produce purchasing program built off the success of the Farmers to Families Food Box program
- Continue working with Congress and the Biden administration to ensure that resources are available for programs like the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP)
- Drive policy changes to COVID-19 response that will provide relief to fresh produce distributors for unpaid debts caused by state- and local-mandated closings of key customers in the hospitality sector
- Drive continued funding to CFAP program and provide regulatory flexibility to those produce companies that have been directly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Work with allied organizations to ensure there is liability protection for employers acting in good faith
- Ensure that front line workers will be prioritized in getting access to PPE and vaccines when they are made available
Specific ways for you to be engaged on the action plan will be posted soon.
In these unprecedented times, we’ve also created Covid-19 industry and consumer resource page to help address commonly asked questions, and provide resources that can help keep you and your business informed.
To learn more about COVID-19 policy please contact Robert Guenther, Senior Vice President, Public Policy