Take Action In Your District
Engaging Congress At Home
Members of Congress spend a lot of time in Washington, D.C., but are precisely interested in the thoughts and opinions of their constituents back home. Engaging with Congress in your home town is a vital way to familiarize and illustrate first-hand, the impact the fruit and vegetable industry has year-round in the district and across the country.
Showing members of Congress directly how federal policies and regulations effect your business will resonate and is a great way to build strong relationships with elected officials and staff. They are sure to remember your role in the community and how the fruit and vegetable industry impacts the lives of all Americans. Likewise these relationships enable United Fresh to reinforce and personalize the power of fresh on Capitol Hill. Staying engaged with your elected officials and regular follow-up can make for a mutually beneficial relationship between you and your member of Congress!
Conduct an Operation or Facility TourHow To Guide
Tours of your business provide first-hand accounts of how the fresh fruit and vegetable industry works day in and day out to provide healthy, safe and affordable food to all Americans across the country. Congressional tours allow your elected officials to see the direct impact you have not only on the economy, but within the local community as well. Tours will also demonstrate how federal policies are directly impacting the growth of your business and likewise any challenges you may face as an industry leader.
Host a tour when Members of Congress are home in the district to tell your story of fresh fruits and vegetables.
Your United Fresh staff is here to help you develop an effective operation tour. If you have any questions or would like to talk to a United Fresh staff member about congressional tours, please contact Angela Tiwari at 202.303.3416.
Attend or Plan a Town HallIncredible Way to Build Relationships
Taking part in a congressional town hall meeting is a way to share your expertise and communicate with your elected officials and policy-makers away from their busy Washington, D.C office in a group setting. These events take place in your community or district and provide an opportunity for members of Congress to hear directly from you, their constituents, on a wide variety of concerns.
We encourage you to attend and tell your story and how federal policies and regulations are effecting your business. Don’t forget to contact United Fresh staff if you plan to attend a town hall.
If there is not a town hall scheduled, consider hosting a town hall at your operation! Your United Fresh team is happy to provide details of how to conduct one!
Talk about Fresh Fruits and Vegetables: Tips for Preparing to Speak
- Read up on the current Key Issues!
- Encourage fellow industry colleagues to attend with you – demonstrate to your Member of Congress, staff, and the community the importance of fruit and vegetable industry issues.
- Tell a personal story – first-hand accounts of the impact of policies on your business and use numbers and facts to support your position.
- Be prepared with accurate, timely, and relevant information.
- Keep your remarks brief, provide a clear “ask” [what do you want the Member of Congress to do?} and invite them to see these issues in person.
- Leave behind contact and other useful information on your business
- Tell United Fresh about your meeting
- Make an appointment at the district office to meet with staff
- Follow up with Washington, D.C. staff and United Fresh after your discussion.
- Invite a member of Congress back to tour your facility next time they are in the district.
Find My Members of Congress
Click here to find your Member of Congress in your district!
Click here to view the 2019 Congressional Calendar.