Leading the Industry in Food Safety
There are no more important issues for the produce industry today than the safety of our food. For decades, United Fresh Produce Association has supported food safety initiatives by serving as a visible, technical resource.
With guidance from the volunteer member Food Safety & Technology Council, United Fresh leads industry food safety efforts in the following ways:
- Food Safety Community
- Any employee of a United Fresh member company can receive up-to-date food safety information by joining the Food Safety Community email listserv. Summarized, at-a-glance information is sent approximately every 2-3 weeks. Contact Miriam Wolk to be added to the listserv.
- Technical Working Groups
- Whether the issue is harmonizing the multitude of GAP audits or addressing Listeria monocytogenes in production facilities, United Fresh effectively identifies and convenes experts who deliberate the issues and deliver practical recommendations and tools.
- Guidance Documents
- United Fresh arms members with the technical information needed to improve their food safety programs. Given the positive feedback associated with the document addressing Listeria monocytogenes, United Fresh will continue to evaluate ways to provide science-based, practical guidance to the produce community.
- FSMA Implementation
- With headquarters in Washington, D.C., United Fresh is in regular interaction with FDA, educating the Agency on produce-specific considerations for FSMA implementation.
- United Fresh not only keeps up with the latest science related to the safety of fresh produce, but also ensures that members are appraised of the latest developments and how they will be impacted. The United Fresh technical staff of highly qualified scientists are active supporters and contributors to several research efforts.
Food safety is in everyone’s best interest; it should not be used as a competitive advantage. Whether working with consumer groups, commodity-specific associations, or regional associations, United Fresh seeks to collaborate to advance food safety for association members, the produce industry, and most importantly, consumers, so they may confidently enjoy fresh produce.